9.15.2008

I was catatonic the entire time.

Manjushri - Namasangiti
(item no. 65391)
1000 - 1099 Northern India
Buddhist Lineage, Stone
Collection of Rubin Museum of Art
(courtesy of himalayanart.org)





"Fill That World" - Oliver Ignatius




We got to talking amidst a brief break from class. Music, of course, was one of the first things we discussed.



"Do you write?" He asked.


"Kind of. Nothing I do really takes off... all really stays the same the whole time," I said between sips of lukewarm coffee.


"Sometimes, that's all you need."


I posed the same question back to Oliver, who had apparently just finished recording his second album. He'd done it all himself, he said, from recording the various harmonies and melodies, to instruments, to mixing and mastering.



About forty minutes later, after class, I asked him if he had anything he could show me.



"Sure," he said, "I guess you could call it the 'hit single' if anything." He proceeded to show me "Hop Skip and a Jump".



Decent, truly independent stuff is hard to find. Open-mic nights have lately bored me; almost as though nothing I've heard since the Summertime Potluck Hootennanies Tyler and I put on really excited me. By now you've probably heard us rant about Nicholas Beaven, Bruhder, Vikesh Kapoor, Whistle Jacket, and others. But if I may present to you all Oliver Ignatius.  Someone I'll probably be ranting about often from here on out.





You can download the rest of his album, Demos for Secund here.
Mac users get unrarx to download the songs. It's free and worth it.





On an unrelated note, if you haven't heard the Fleet Foxes BBC Radio 2 Session FM on Aquarium Drunkard, I suggest you do so now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks will!

Clay B. said...

is "hop skip and a jump" a coincidence with whistle jacket? that's the name of their album that they gave me at the hoot

Will said...

i dunno, ask oliver. probably unrelated.